Monday, January 09, 2006

Looking back & Looking Forward

"Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men." At once they left their nets and followed him. ~ Mark 1:17-18

Today was my first day at school again. It's funny how easily you fall back into the flow of things. Besides waking up, I felt like I was back at teaching from December. The same feelings of being rushed and not having enough time in a day. The same feelings of being very loud/whiny when speaking to the kids.

It was good to see them again though. They all come with such joy and interesting ideas. I realize I really need to let the kids speak more in class. I learn so much when they speak and ask questions. I love hearing Turkish A-girl speak. She is so spunky and full of fun. She asked the student teacher today the most poignant questions. "Do you have a boyfriend? What's his name?" And then she goes on to ask later, "Can I be the Botanist Teacher? I'm so good at it! I'm an expert!" So cute!

As I think about Jesus calling us to be Fishers of Men. It becomes clear to me that Christ never spent the time to continue to invite people to come to this ministry, and that ministry. He asks "Come follow me." People take it, or leave it. There's no time to ask repeatedly. And in making the disciples Fishers of Men, Christ doesn't teach them oratory skills. He just teaches them to love, and modelled it. It's such a reminder for me. I need to do the same too.

No comments: